Story: Eggs Three Ways
Air Date: 25th June
Caroline shows off three ways you can use golden eggs to create a delicious meal; frittata, scrambled and omelette.
- Golden Eggs is a family-run business established in 1946, taking pride in its care for the land and flock of hens.
- The business focuses on free-range eggs but also offers cage eggs.
- With a maximum of 10,000 hens per hectare, they can roam outside during the day to exercise, graze and socialise.
- Eggs are classified as a great source of nutrition for growing kids, providing up to thirteen nutrients and vitamins.
- Cooking with eggs makes for a quick, easy and cost-friendly meal.
Scrambled eggs with shaved truffle
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices sourdough, or whatever bread you prefer.
- sea salt and pepper for seasoning
- optional fresh truffle or truffle oil
- Crack eggs into a bowl and add the cream, whisk until smooth.
- Toast bread and keep warm.
- Heat a heavy bottomed fry pan with butter and oil and add the whisked eggs, using a spatula keep the eggs moving and fold in on its self.
- Once the outside is cooked but not browned, turn the heat off and keep folding, it will continue to cook.
- Halve the eggs with the spatula and slide each serving onto the separate plates with the toast and shave the truffle generously over the top, or drizzle truffle oil over the top.
- If you have any chives or parsley you can add that now too, enjoy!
Bacon and zucchini frittata
- 1 zucchini grated
- 8 Golden Eggs free-range egg
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 200g bacon diced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 200g grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- Sauté brown onion in olive oil until transparent, set aside.
- Line a rectangle baking tray with wax proof paper.
- Crack 8 eggs into a bowl and add 1 cup whipping cream and whisk until smooth.
- Layer shredded zucchini, onion, bacon and cheese in the baking tray, then pour the egg mix over the top evenly until the ingredients are covered.
- Sprinkle more cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes before checking, if it’s still wobbly, cook for intervals of 10 minutes until it is a firm to the touch in the centre.
- If you have too much egg mix then save it for scrambled eggs at another time, alternatively make a bit more egg mix if you don’t have enough.
Quick Cabbage Omelette
- 50g shredded cabbage
- 1 Tbspn butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbspn shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tbspn soy sauce
- Squeeze of kewpie
- Small squeeze of bulldog sauce or Tonkatsu sauce or hoisin (you can leave this off if you can’t handle much sugar)
- 1 Tbspn bonito flakes or furikake
- 1/4 avocado
- Sautéed the cabbage in the butter
- Whisk the eggs, add soy and pour over sautéed cabbage, add cheese if you want.
- Flip and cook until cooked.
- Dress with kewpie and some nori seasoning, avocado or even bacon, yum.
For more information: