Story: Brewing Royalty: Cooking up a Storm with King Road Beer Part 2
Air Date: 25th June
Stuart shows us how to create a mouth-watering roast chicken dish using King Road’s very own beer.
- King Road Brewing Company started out ten years ago making their own cider for friends in the neighbourhood, which soon blossomed into a brewery.
- The venue’s array of play areas for children such as bouncy castles and footy goals reflects the company’s family-friendly ethos.
- Customers can choose from a variety of specially crafted drinks, with a core range of nine beers and ciders, as well as eight new small-batch seasonals produced each year!
- Passionate about food, the team at King Road smoke all their own meats in an on-site smoker and create hand-stretched stone-baked pizzas in an amazing pizza kitchen.
- Big groups are always welcomed, with a dedicated function area called ‘The Hay Shed’ designed to host events such as weddings, birthdays or even band nights.
Beer brined charcoal chicken, charred spring onion salsa
Beer brined Chicken
- 6 each skin on chicken Maryland
- 600ml King road larger
- 20gm salt
- 700gm brown sugar
- 1 knob ginger
- 2 star anice
Spring onion salsa
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 4 each jalapeno
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 knob ginger
- 1 lime
- 50ml sherry vinegar
- Bring 400ml of beer, salt and 20gm brown sugar to the boil and allow to cool
- Trim the chicken to remove any cartilage and add to the “brine”
- Allow to sit in the brine overnight
- To make the glaze, bring remaining beer, remaining sugar, ginger and star anise to the boil and reduce by half. Strain
- Char spring onions and jalapenos
- Remove skin and seeds from jalapenos and finely dice
- Finely slice spring onions and mix with dice jalapenos
- Grate garlic, ginger and the zest of lime and mix with spring onions
- Dress with olive oil, sherry vinegar and lime juice
- Season to taste
Cooking the chicken
- Heat the bbq 15 minutes before for gas and 45 minutes before for charcoal
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
- Season chicken and place on the grill skin side down, Allow to cook for 4 minutes before turning to prevent sticking
- Turn and brush with beer glaze, repeat the process 4 times until golden brown and chicken has an internal temp of 69+
- All to rest for 5 minutes skin side up and plate with salsa
For more information: